Los Angeles Dodgers Win the World Series

Photo Courtesy of L.A. Dodgers

The Los Angeles Dodgers win the World Series. Earlier in the year, the Dodgers visited Saugus High School.

Carter White, Co-Editor In Chief

The 32 year drought is over, and the Los Angeles Dodgers defeated the Tampa Bay Rays in the World Series on the 27th of October. The Dodgers have gone to the World Series in the last three years, of the four years, the final score was three to two.

Many Saugus residents are happy about the World Series turn out. Saugus High School P.E. teacher Sara Soltani said, “When the Dodgers came to Saugus in January to visit and help uplift the school, I knew they were special. I have always been a Dodgers’ fan and have been so lucky to go to so many games. Once baseball returned I was so excited to finally watch it on TV, even though I wish I could go to a game. This World Series championship means a lot to our city, just like the Lakers championship series. I think we are all looking for so many positives during this time that this win meant a little more.”

Another Saugus High school teacher Analia Paniagua was excited about the World Series as well: “The Dodgers winning the World Series in 2020 is poetic. It’s exhilarating. It’s been a history of ‘almosts’ and it finally happened. There are a lot of people who have said that the Dodgers won it with an asterisk, but I think they mean an exclamation point.”

Some of the celebrations of the Dodgers winning got out of hand with fist fights and not following COVID-19 guidelines. The Dodgers win was not without its criticisms, one being at the end of the game when Rob Manfred, commissioner of the MLB, presented the trophy to Dodgers manager Dave Roberts. Fans were quick to boo Rob as he did this, due to upset over Rob’s handling of  the Houston Astros cheating in 2017. 

Another talked about moment occurred during the 8th inning of the final game when the Dodgers starting 3rd baseman Justin Turner’s COVID-19 test came back positive and he proceeded to celebrate on the field with his teammates after their win. According to CNN, Turner returned,“to the field to celebrate, hugging his teammates, posing for photos with the roster and at times not wearing a mask.” 

“I don’t think there was anyone that was going to stop him from going out [onto the field],” Andrew Friedman, Dodgers president of baseball operations, told reporters after the game.”