‘The Office’ Set To Be Removed From Netflix

Popular+T.V.+show+and+sitcom%2C+The+Office%2C+set+to+be+removed+from+Netflix+streaming+service+

Image Courtesy of Medium

Popular T.V. show and sitcom, “The Office,” set to be removed from Netflix streaming service

Carter White, Co-Editor In Chief

No! God please no! NOOO!” Many fans are quoting the great Michael Scott as Netflix announces its removal of popular television series “The Office” by the end of 2020. “The Office” is ranked as the number one show in watch time on the popular streaming service, but is set to be removed from Netflix due to the show’s purchase by NBCUniversal for $500 million. 

The Office aired in 2005 and ended in 2013. Saugus High School freshman, Tyler Zimmerman, responded to the news: “I’m not happy with it. It’s the only show I could watch over and over and still be surprised about what happened even though I’ve seen it many times before. I’m going to dearly miss it.” Some high school students’ way to get through tough times is to destress by doing things they love and lots of high schoolers enjoy The Office.

According to the website Bustle, “Come the end of January 2021, all nine seasons of NBC’s cult-favorite workplace comedy will leave Netflix in order to be exclusively available on Peacock, NBCUniversal’s streaming service, which launched in July of 2020.” Peacock has taken a few NBC shows off of Netflix, including the popular show, “Parks and Recreation.” 

As stated by nbcnew.com, “The deal will be for five years.” Netflix offered to pay 90 million dollars a year for the next five years, but NBC topped it with 100 million dollars per year for the next five years, granting them ownership.

Saugus High School junior and football athlete, Sebastian Dallaire, said, “I think it’s bad for Netflix because most people have Netflix just to watch The Office and they’re going to lose lots of money from the show leaving.” There is no way that Netflix doesn’t lose money and I think they know, previously said before Netflix was offering 90 million dollars a year for the next 5 that’s a 450 million dollar deal!Many believe the show was never the same after Steve Carell who played Michael Scott left the show in Season 7. NBC at the end of season 9 was preparing to go for a 10th season yet the cast realized it needed to die in peace. 

Netflix tweeted: “We’re sad that NBC has decided to take The Office back for its own streaming platform — but members can binge watch the show to their hearts’ content ad-free on Netflix until January 2020.” Space Force also had other characters who have appeared in The Office. According to netflix.fandom.com: “Space Force is an American comedy series created by Greg Daniels and Steve Carell. The series premiered on Netflix on May 29, 2020.Samantha Egan, Saugus High School freshman, said, “So many people became so close with The Office, they shared laughs, cries, and learned life lessons that people could cherish forever.” And that’s what she said.