Glass Onion Review

Photo from https://wtm.uk/events/glass-onion-a-knives-out-mystery-12a/

Bailey Posey, Co-Editor In Chief

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery is a classic ‘whodunit’ comedic murder mystery movie with an intricate storyline, rotating point of views, and endless pop culture references. This new dark comedy has racked up 15 million dollars in the box office after being in theaters for a one-week limited time release, then being made available on Netflix.

Similar to its predecessor, Knives Out, Glass Onion has allowed Daniel Craig to reprise his role as master detective Benoit Blanc while he unravels the webs of secrets and lies. The mystery in Glass Onion, though, is not connected to that of Knives Out.

Glass Onion follows the story of a famous scientist and celebrity, Miles Bron played by Edward Norton, and his close group of celebrity friends who spend a weekend at his private island. Miles Bron schedules a fun murder mystery activity for the group until it becomes real throughout the course of the weekend. This mystery was not easily unraveled in the audience’s minds or in the show. The multiple perspectives shown in this movie also allows the directors to control exactly how much the audience does or doesn’t know. In an interview with IndieWire, Glass Onion star Leslie Odom Jr. says, “[director] wanted to tell as many of those stories simultaneously as possible, so you’ve got this really layered experience as an audience member.”

Glass Onion was a fun watch, with an intricate yet easily followed plot. With plot twists and fake hints, the writers and producers of Glass onion kept the predictability low and left all questions answered. The foreshadowing, as well, was incredible and perfectly placed. Saugus sophomore, Brandon Nunez, adds, “It was cool to see how it all unfolded… it kept surprising me.”

Another fun aspect of the film was the implications of nepotism all throughout the film since it takes place in a celebrity friend group. I really enjoyed the interactions between the celebrities and when they talked about being famous. It made me compare them to real life celebrities and wondered if their interactions were similar, which was a fun aspect of the movie.

The cast of this ominous movie is a large mix of all kinds of actors and actresses. Leslie Odom Jr., who plays Lionel Toussant, rose to fame as a result of his role on broadway. Kathryn Hahn who portrays Claire Debella is popular for her roles in a number of films, including How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days directed by Donald Petrie. Madelyn Cline who rose to popularity thanks to her role in Netflix original Outer Banks, joined this cast to play Whiskey, the girlfriend of Duke Cody who is depicted by Guardian’s of the Galaxy star, Dave Bautista. This unusual mix of celebrities became a genius melting pot of talent, which was a huge part of creating this film. 

In all, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery was an enjoyable movie with the perfect amount of comedy and mystery with good enough acting to keep you wanting more. With an acceptable amount of chaos without diminishing the realisticness, this film is an exciting watch. Additionally, the rewatch rate of this movie is high. After knowing how it ends and not needing to focus on the main plot points during a re-watch, this movie is amusing to replay to catch things missed the previous times. Available to watch on Netflix, this movie seems to be a Knives Out fan favorite.