Palm Sunday and It’s Significance

Courtesy of The Crosswalk

Palm Sunday is a Christian holiday, but many wonder, what is its significance?

Spencer Gorka, The Scroll, Staff Writer

Palm Sunday is a widely-celebrated holiday that takes place on the Sunday before Easter, March 28th this year. Some people assume that Palm Sunday is strictly related to Easter and that it may be a strict religious holiday, but that is not the case. Palm Sunday is related to the Easter story, but it also has its own significance as well. Let’s break down the story of Palm Sunday and look into what each part means.

We first should look at what happened that day. Matthew 21:6-11 explains that to us.

(NIV): “6 The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. 7 They brought the donkey and the colt and placed their cloaks on them for Jesus to sit on. 8 A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. 9 The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted, 

‘Hosanna to the Son of David!’ 

‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!’

‘Hosanna in the highest heaven!’

10 When Jesus entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred and asked, ‘Who is this?’

11 The crowds answered, ‘This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee.’”

Jesus rode into Jerusalem on the back of a donkey as the crowds came to Him, waving palm branches and singing Hosanna. This was all in preparation for His crucifixion that would come in just a few days after this event. They were praising Jesus, even though they only saw him as a prophet which would later be revealed that He is the son of God.

Let’s break this passage down a little further. Jesus rode on a donkey into Jerusalem to show his humble character. He didn’t want to be known as this great king that came on horses and chariots, He wanted to meet the people where they were at, being in the dirtiest places and with the poorest, and sickest people. That’s who He is and He has always been. 

Palm leaves were waved in the air then laid on the road for Jesus as a symbol of victory and salvation, foreshadowing the resurrection that would come the next Sunday. The townspeople also shouted “Hosanna” which means save us or rescue us. It was as a pleading to Jesus in a celebratory way to ask Him to deliver them from the Romans. But that wasn’t Jesus’s purpose of being on Earth. He didn’t come here to Earth to save the people from the Romans, but He came to save them from sin, and not just the Jews, but everyone, no matter gentile or Jew. He came to save you!

This is a Christian celebration but everyone can join in on the celebration. This isn’t a religious holiday, but instead a celebration for the deliverance of salvation. No one has to perform any religious ritual to commemorate the holiday. Only simple acts are performed such as attending a small Palm Sunday service at church, palm leaf waving, and reading the Easter story. All these things don’t require anyone to do anything religious, just to sit, listen, and watch.

The Easter story continues from then on, such as Jesus in the temple, Jesus explaining to his disciples of what was to happen to him in his last days, the last supper, Judas’ betrayal, the prayer in Gethsemane, the crucifixion, and the resurrection. All these events put into play the grandest and most gracious thing that our God has ever done. He sent His only son to die on the cross for our sins so that we may live forever with Him if we believe in Him and what he has done for us. You don’t need to do anything more than to believe in your heart and ask God to dwell within you. When you have accepted Jesus into your heart, you have gained eternal life in Heaven, and Heaven doesn’t start when we die. It starts in the here and now. And that’s the best thing that could ever happen to anyone, and it can make you a new person.

That is the miracle of Easter. That is why Palm Sunday and Easter are so important. They are holidays of life and hope and peace. The peace that passes all understanding is waiting for you. So, are you going to take it?

The opinions in The Scroll’s editorials are strictly the views of the writers of the staff or outside submissions. The views do not represent or reflect the opinions or policies of Saugus High School or the William S. Hart School District. The Scroll welcomes all reactions and outside submissions to share alternative views.