The Conflicting Dress Code

Jaelynn Swanson, Staff writer

The dress code for the Saugus 2022-2023 year states: Strapless tops are not to be worn, as well as showing undergarments. This seems to be a conflicting change for many Saugus students, especially females. For instance, many of this gender are being dress coded for reasons that I would presume to be unreasonable.

Photo Courtesy of Saugus Teachers

One reason I believe the dress code is unreasonable is because girls are expected to cover up and show very little skin in the midst of extreme heat. It is reasonable for girls to want to wear tank tops because of this extremity, but the new dress code advises them to cover up. 

Another reason I believe the dress code is unreasonable is because it is not “distracting” to any students, it is mainly admin who are bothered by the girls’ desire to revert from the dress code.  

I do not think it is fair for admin to tell the girls that they have to cover up when they are showing too much skin.

Saugus Senior, Mikayla Piantanida, responds to this newly changed dress code. She claims that the dress code is sexist, there needs to be fewer restrictions on the dress code, and students should be allowed to wear what they want within reason. 

Mikayla  believes that dressing is how we express ourselves, and the excuse for boys to get distracted does not mean anything because boys still sexualize everything that girls do. 

I also do not think that the dress code is fair, because boys are allowed to wear tank tops and are not told by admin to cover up or put on a jacket to cover their shoulders. I also believe that kids should be able to wear what they want and not be told to put on a shirt while it is hot outside. 

Personally, I think that girls should be able to wear tank tops, tube tops, or whatever they want without having to wear a jacket over or cover up, because it is hot outside, and the tank tops are on for that reason. 

I think that the dress code is not fair for the girls and I believe girls should be able to express themselves with their clothes and not be told to change based on what other student’s might get distracted about.